View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #55
No-Mo-Shun

Default Ice and Water Skiing

I remember the Model A ice truck all through the 40's and early 50's. At least I believe it was a Model A. The Summer of 1946 was the first time I had seen water skiing. Our next door neighbor on Long Beach was Jed Cleversey from Kittery, Me. During previous Summers, Jed and his friends, the Landrys towed an aquaplane behind his boat which was a 16 ft. inboard that he built. In the Summer of 46 they all began water skiing; even little June Landry, who was only 6 years old. After watching all this great fun for about 3 weeks, I got up the nerve to ask Jed for a tow around. He agreed. I was sure I could do it. After all, I was 12 years old. The good news is that I never fell down until the 3rd ride that Summer. That's when I decided to cross the wake. He really got me hooked. One of Jed's friends came to the lake with a big Lyman and a 50 HP four cyl. WW2 landing craft motor. That was a good ski boat. I could talk boats all night, but I'm leaving early tomorrow on a one week motorcycle trip with the gang to Yellowstone Park.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote