View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Just as a casual observer that entire statement you made is anecdotal thus has zero basis in fact other than your perceived observation. If you really expect me to believe that fireworks (as an example) are any more scary to a loon than a passing severe thunderstorm I'd like to see evidence that a Loon can really tell the difference.

Just because you disagree with another's theory doesn't make the veracity of your claim any more or less relevant. Bottom line is human interaction of any kind has the potential to disturb loons. In fact I would say just your mere presence "summering many years in an area of relatively high Common Loon population" may very well have resulted in how many chicks not making it to adulthood?
You make good points, but I'm not so sure of your conclusions:

Sure, most of us can probably accept that fireworks are no worse for loons and other wildlife than a thunderstorm. But the thunder is beyond our control and the fireworks are entirely discretionary. Just as it would be stressful for loons if the number of thunderstorms increased, when we increase the noise we can control, we are stressing the loons.

Similarly, I agree that my presence has an impact on the lake, and that wildlife would be better off if there were fewer humans, houses, boats, etc. But I just take that as a reason to be thoughtful about reducing the impact I have in whatever reasonable ways I can think of. Quieter boats, fewer fireworks, less cutting of trees and brush, etc
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote