View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #16
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Having summered many years in an area of relatively high Common Loon population, I recognize the short "threat-call" made by Loons. In most recent years, that abrupt call has been sounded for fireworks, Bald Eagles, and Ultralight aircraft. When that call is taken up by crows, you can be dead-certain there's a Bald Eagle overhead!
Just as a casual observer that entire statement you made is anecdotal thus has zero basis in fact other than your perceived observation. If you really expect me to believe that fireworks (as an example) are any more scary to a loon than a passing severe thunderstorm I'd like to see evidence that a Loon can really tell the difference.

Just because you disagree with another's theory doesn't make the veracity of your claim any more or less relevant. Bottom line is human interaction of any kind has the potential to disturb loons. In fact I would say just your mere presence "summering many years in an area of relatively high Common Loon population" may very well have resulted in how many chicks not making it to adulthood?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote