View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #85
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
At the January 24, 2011 Laconia City Council Meeting they had a discussion with Laconia State Representatives regarding the State budget .

For some reason they got on the topic of the SB-27 speed limit Bill. Too bad that there wasn’t someone there who knew a little about the Bill. IMHO they were all clueless. It really is funny to read so I thought I would post it.

The following State Representatives were present for this discussion:
Alida Millham, Don Flanders, Robert Luther, Frank Tilton and Harry Accornero. Also in attendance State Senator Jim Forsythe, County Commissioner Philpot and County Administrator Debra Shackett.

Here it is:

"Councilor Hamel asked if there is a Bill in the process to change the speed limits on the lakes to “what is reasonable”. Senator Forsythe stated this is his most e-mailed topic; this is called SB-27 and is based on a Coast Guard law and enumerates factors such as weather and keeps the 150/50 foot rule. Councilor Hamel noted that this is being brought forward by Senator D’Alessandro, who is not even from a waterfront community and doesn’t understand the issues with this. Senator Forsythe did not comment. Representative Flanders noted that some time ago there was a conversation relative to Lake Winnipesaukee being part of Coast Guard jurisdiction and it was determined it is not; this is a Coast Guard rule and is designed for the ocean and everything connected to it not Lake Winnipesaukee. The speed limit law has worked for Lake Winnipesaukee and should not be changed."
Right - "Not even from a waterfront community".... I suppose it was all OK though when WINNFABS was in Nashua asking people to sign the petition. Oh, that's right, Nashua has the Nashua River. I suppose the fact that Councilor Hamel resides in a community that borders the lake makes him a defacto expert on the subject? Furthermore, remember Ms. Martha "Full-of-it" Clark, the esteemed Senator from Portsmouth? She's also about 1-hour from Winnipesaukee (and was also clueless I might add). She spearheaded the effort to kill the sunset provision rather than let Marine Patrol (the "experts" on boating) finish their 2-year study to see if there really was a problem (which of course, there wasn't). Clark and her ilk had to make sure that they made the law permanent at the behest of her elitist friends before the 2-year study was completed. Why? Because the facts DO NOT LIE - there was NO PROBLEM!!