View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Been there, Done that....

That old phrase comes to mind; "Been there, done that and have the tee shirt with the stains on it to prove it" come to mind when I read your posts. Actually, dive buddy Cliff (the original owner of the Wolfeboro Dive store) and I found the wreck of the Mt. Washington just west of Eagle Island years ago, it's in 80' of depth, sunk in the mud with just the keel, main beams and old rusted boiler parts are all that's left of it. It's very cold and dark down there and we never wanted to return back there due to the mud (some things are better left for the imagination).

As for the wreck of "Empty Pockets"... Dive Buddy Ray Dezeniso and I originally found it and reported it to the Dive Shop, whose divers found it on the next trip out there. Personally, I could care less who was the first... however; it was a big deal for Ray, since it was his first big find. When we found it, it was fully intact. However, since that time Ray and I have found numerous sites of historical interest on the lake and Empty Pockets isn’t as important as it once was.

You have to be willing to get out of your comfort zone, if you want discover the real treasures of the lake.

Here are a few easy-interesting sites for you to find:
* The mid-channel marker between Sewall point and Hopewell point 30'
* The horse barge off Little Barndoor Is. 65'
* The old log truck off the entrance to Midge cove 63'
* The steamboat off the south side of Sandy Is. 35'
* The Cabin Cruiser in Wolfeboro bay (half way between the outside marker of WCYC mooring field and Persnickety boathouse at Brewster) 40'
* Of course "The one horse open slay" just east of Goodhew's 65'
Happy hunting.

BTW: I can’t believe no one has found the old car off Clark point yet… After all, it is the training site for the advance open water divers, isn’t it? They must be too wrapped up in the training to go exploring.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnipesaukee Divers For This Useful Post: