View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
VtSteve

There aren't any speed limits for drunks. Not a bad proposal Woodsy, as usual. Safe and Prudent works for me as well. As I recall, both nighttime accidents involving fatalities involved speeds circa 30 mph, with the usual extenuating circumstances. Last years was typical of how legislation cannot prevent everything from going wrong. The infamous accident could have been prevented by friends, people on the dock, including and off duty LEO as I recall.

Accidents will always happen, sometimes it's unpreventable. In the vast majority of cases, alcohol is involved. To fast for condition is another. In my estimate, the MP could easily devote 100% of their time enforcing the 150' rule and still need more help. At night, a more focused approach could be used in the usual areas.

But you and I are approaching this from a common sense, pro-safety approach. The exchange of rational ideas has no place in the SL debates. At some point, I would expect the MP to be giving their marching orders for a crackdown on the 150' limit, specifically trying to get at the more aggressive and careless, and possibly drunk boaters. Spending time trying to harass boaters on the hook or rafting, setting them up by cutting them off, baiting them, is a waste of precious resources they say they don't have. But that's another discussion.

There's a reason people express their raw emotions and fear in the pro SL discussions. There haven't been many accidents to discuss. If last year's accident involved a 20' bowrider, discussion would have been pretty muted.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: