View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Comments about Boat Hooks, "Bumpers", etc etc........The more things YOU have to keep track of as SKIPPER ...Boat Hooks, The Throttle, The Shift Lever (what gear are we in..?), ..OMG..What is the angle of the outdrive..WHAT are your guests doing...their natural inclination is to Stand Up and HELP.....Not Good.. OR necessary if the Skipper knows what he is doing.

As Skipper: I ask the guests to remain seated (sip your drink) and everything will be fine...I will give instructions AFTER we are "reasonably sure" that docking will be sucessful.

When I see a boat with a Boat Hook brandished...I stand back. This is a sign of inexperiance. Experiance comes with Practice..Practice...which will result in CONFIDENCE.

YUP: It's kinda HARSH....I look at it as Tough Love.
Well said.. I am no perfectionist so I don't try doing something out of my ability when other boats are involved...

A good thing to try is in May, a week day, or early in the morning go to some public docks and try a few different ways to dock.. Use cones if you need to.. I luckily have a U shaped dock at my house so I can practice backing in. But there is really no disgrace in practicing....

PS. if you have pipes like mine, early in the morning isn't the best idea