View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #8
MikeF-NH

The Derby in question is NOT the Winter Ice fishing derby...it is the Spring WinniDerby for salmon. There has not been a history of left behind trash from the latter.

While both costs were grouped together, each is entirely seperate:
1.) the cost of a license (or registration for that matter) is set by the state. It is what it is and every state charges more for out of state than in state licenses. If you only fish 10 days all year thats only $6.5 per day to fish...not a bad deal. We all wish it was cheaper but nobody can argue that NHF&G is over funded.

2.) the cost of the ticket went up this year by about the same amount you would be charged for the dinner that is included in the price of the ticket on Friday night. I think the idea of the Dinner/Expo is a good one thought it also has its drawbacks. The "good" includes: putting customers in front of sponsors at the Expo is a draw for sponsors to come back next year and new sponsors to participate in future derbies. We've all seen participation at awards dwindle over the past few years and its no coincidence that sponsors have also wained. Also the provided meal saves us from cooking that first night though many would prefer to buy our own groceries and make a fine meal at "derby camp". The drawbacks include: we all have to stop fishing at 6PM according to currently posted derby rules on Friday night. Many don't like being forced to do anything including not fishing during legal fishing times and paying for/eating food that we many not have chosen to pay for if it weren't included with the price of the ticket. BSA had to do something to inject enthusiasm back into the event so that it will continue to run. I think this is a good idea though a significant % of participants will disagree but it is what it is. I reached out to Daniel Webster Council through my contact channels and mentioned a well known lack of response from the Contact Us links - historically DWC is very good in considering new ideas. Opinions should be directed there also but also keep it positive and offer solutions. I think the days of the 40 derby ticket are behind us.

I know some on this board also participate in derbies on Champlain and Sebego....can price comparisons for out of state licenses and tickets for those events?
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote