View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 05:06 AM   #13
ApS

Lightbulb Sails Need to Stretch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Sounds like the patch held up OK and the rest of the sailcloth was beyond its useful life. A valiant effort, anyway, and in true Red Green fashion, you didn't waste a lot of $$.
Not much stretch in Gorilla-tape!

Unless cleaned using bleach, panels of the sail still may be good enough for recycling into tents, fashion statements, sun shades, totes, covers, sleeves or grocery bags. Old or rejected sails can be donated for "repurposing":
http://newlifesails.com/

Sold in shops, including in nearby Maine:

Quote:
"Often white or off-white thanks to the recycled dacron, canvas, and Kevlar they're made from, the bags feature nautically-themed embellishments like rope-prints and lobster claws as well as hand-spliced rope handles."
Some find their way to the Caribbean, to assist in driving sailboats used for sustenance fishing.

Come to think of it, I have a spare sail with a World Olympics acceptance-seal stamped on it. What a discussion item for a grocery bag...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Intensity Sails in Warwick, Rhode Island's website says they have these in red-white-blue for the reduced sale price of $119.95 ....... which seems like a terrific steal of a deal ....... so's it is goodbye Fay's .....and hello Intensity Sails. Who know's .....maybe I'll create a presidential political pitch with the left-over blue sail repair tape.....and use it to letter a HILLARY sign on the middle white section of this three stripe red-white-blue sail, and go sail it within sight of the crowded Mount Washington weekend cruises? Do I feel bad about not paying $300 or something and buying local as opposed to paying 119.95 ....... I dunno .....ask me after I get the sail that's on sale?
Check with Neil Pryde sailmakers first. They're cheaper and more colorful—but specify the colors of the sail you order, as you can get a mish-mosh of colors!

If you feel the need to "make a pitch", how about "150-Foot Rule" emblazoned on your new sail. The message won't be passé after November 9th.