View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #56
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
In response to FatLazyLess instructions to winterize toilets
"after you pump out all the water with a boat bailer pump, add a pint of pink of recreational vehicle antifreeze, $2.58 gal, into the toilet and into the water closet".

OK, what I did was shut off the water supply to the toilet, and flushed it, there is still water in the bottom of the toilet bowl, I'll pump out the rest.

My question is, if I add RV anti-freeze to the toilet bowl, how do I get it into the 'trap' ? Also, I don't want any anti-freeze to sit in the bowl all winter, for fear it will dis-color the porcelain 'pink " !

Can someone give me some direction here ?

Thanks !

Don't worry about a stain; it won't happen. It's never happened to me.

Regarding the toilet trap; two ways to get it where you want. Drain the water out of both the tank and the toilet bowl. Poor the RV Anti-Freeze into the tank, and then flush the toilet. Easy but uses more Anti-Freeze then the next option.

Or, you can drain the water out of both the tank and the toilet. Then add the RV Anti-Freeze into the toilet bowl. Put on one plastic gloves and use your gloved fingers in a back & forth motion to FORCE the anti-freeze down the toilet drain. Sounds nasty but it works!

One other thing; Don't forget to open the flapper in the tank and pour a small amount of RV Anti-Freeze in that location. I also always leave a small amount on the bottom of the tank itself.

TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote