View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #27
Beardude

Default Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Best of luck to you....hope it works out well. We had been doing this for 15 years successfully, but last December, the perfect storm hit, and we had frozen pipes and resulting flood on first floor. We had installed a new generator and had someone paid to watch the house, and he must have had had other fish to fry.....so as a result, I am very nervous about leaving this year. My excuse is the pandemic....but the thought of going through that ordeal again is too much. We are finally pretty much settled here again...it’s been exactly 9 months, and the contractor did a fantastic job, so we have no complaints. We thought we were all set before, but...not so. We are installing cameras throughout and hope that covers everything. At our ages, the old coping mechanisms are a bit shot!
We too have returned from Florida to frozen pipes. The power was still out when we came home late at night. With two woodstoves I could get some heat going at least. Aside from ice in the toilets which I thawed with a torch, the damage was limited to a split shower valve. I've since installed a generator and have Nest cameras. For peace of mind I placed a small thermometer on the shelf with the camera. The camera is a fish eye lens so the thermometer doesn't block the view. I can check it on my phone anytime.
Beardude is offline   Reply With Quote