View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Irish Choppers

Default Can you extract DNA from ashes?

I found myself asking if DNA could be extracted from ashes to determine if the ashes were from human remains..... here's what I found out doing some basic research. It looks like the gentleman who owns the motorcycle museum could submit a sample to this lab and get pretty solid results. Prices for this type of test start at $350.00

"Because no two funeral homes or crematoriums are the same, the only way to know if DNA is present in cremated remains is to test them in a laboratory that specializes in and uses the latest technology in forensic DNA testing. The majority of the cremated remains sent to us typically will have fragmented bone and/or teeth that can be tested for trace amounts of DNA. Finding DNA in these cremated remains is contingent upon many different factors. The age of the equipment used, how the remains have been stored, how long ago the cremation was done, and the amount of remaining bone fragments are just some of the factors. No funeral home or crematorium have the same incinerator and do not cremate a body the same way."

https://privatelabresults.com/cremat...s-dna-testing/
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote