View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #214
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
And there is nothing like the visual effects of this little fella standing beside you when someone comes onto your property with bad intentions:

I've always kept my dogs locked up whenever I've actually had to investigate or confront any random visitors on our property. They're not trained to act as attack or defense dogs, and so the most they would likely do is get in the way, cause a liability, or block my shot. Or worse yet, get harmed or killed by someone who felt threatened by them in some way.

There has been a lot of hype and speculation and tough talk in this thread (not aiming this comment specifically at you). I think that more people need to research ACTUAL useful means of self-defense, including use of weapons, and think about realistic scenarios when you would be justified in using some kind of force.

Dogs, broomsticks, pepper spray, and such are not going to offer a reliable defense. Your first weapon is your mind, your next is your sidearm. Both should be in good working order. If not, stay in the house and keep 911 on speed-dial and hope it's a slow night.