View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #39
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The most recent article noted:

"There is no speed limit on Clear Lake. There are, however, federal laws that apply. Dodd noted that Perdock had been in violation of Rule 5 (Lookout), Rule 6 (Safe Speed), Rule 7 (Risk of Collision) Rule 8 (Action to Avoid Collision), Rule 13 (Overtaking), and Rule 25 (Sailing Vessels Underway and Vessels Under Oars).

Here is a key point of many against renewal of the speed limit law. There are existing rules that apply to high speed accidents. There is no question accidents happen because boat captains go. However, the captain should be allowed to judge the safe speed, not the non-boaters of the state.

Posting examples of high speed crashes is trolling, not contributing to the debate, unless there is a point to be made. Why is a artificially set speed limit needed to trump Federal Rule 6?
Anyone that has taken the time to read about the spectacular accidents from around the world, throughout the years, has obviously seen patterns that are fairly consistent. Most of the accidents violate at least one of the existing laws, no matter what state or country they take place in. While I still adhere to promoting additional enforcement and training, there is hardly anything law enforcement can do to prevent these accidents, unless they happen to be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, or have already locked up previous offenders.

El pointed to many accidents, the vast majority involving alcohol, many are directly related to negligent and dangerous operation. I read many of the boating website forums, including most of the offshore and speed boat forums. It's pretty easy to not only see which posters are not the safest around, and the increasing trend towards reigning in these boaters. The majority of Poker Run organizers, boat club organizations, and many race-oriented people, call for more enforcement. They are seeing a pattern towards inexperienced people in high-powered boats, reckless younger people (mostly) endangering themselves and others by drinking while boating. They are seeing their sport being hurt. Insurance coverage has gotten very expensive for these boats, and PR organizers have adopted many new rules, and even tossed people out of the PR if viewed as negligent or dangerous.

El pointed to an accident where the offending operator was in a NWZ. A certain organization was up in arms, and calling for speed limits in an entire bay. Then, they read the facts. Of course, seeing their sailboat club's tenders and race crew speeding dangerously close to other boats in a NO WAKE ZONE at the country meeting didn't help their case

There are people, like Dave Patnaude of the NJPPC, that deserve the commendation and respect of all boaters for their hard and continued efforts to keep boating safe. It's people like him that are serious about safety and their love of boating. Not lip service or arrogant attitudes towards others, they actually do things, and for all boaters, not just their preferred style.

Organizations like this need to be setup in all areas. They are the advocates of safety, training, and fun for all. They also can serve as effective advocates when people that are less than genuine attempt to inject new laws and rules they know nothing about.

And for those that feel victimized by posting limits and the like. You're definitely not alone here. I've attempted to discuss facts and opinions, without spamming and flooding. I feel the vast majority of my posts have had good intentions, trying to sort out facts from fiction, and trying to solve real problems. Some don't agree with this I'm sure, so be it. If I post garbage, I expect to be called on it, like everyone else. If proven wrong, I accept that and move on with newfound knowledge.

I encourage everyone to read the articles El posts here. Really read them. Many I've read before, along with lengthy discussions on many boards he hates. Believe me, there is definitely momentum in the safety arena, and many want it to start at the dealer level as well. I also would like to reign in problem boaters everywhere, as I want to be safe along with my family on the water. I've been working on different proposals and scenarios that would try to do just that. Winnipesaukee is a fairly small body of water comparatively speaking, and would be a great spot to do a study of this type. No surveys, no wild fabrications, just real life on the water.

There are boatloads of people on this forum that have the common sense many were not born with. They understand the lake and boating, and remain open-minded towards what's really happening. Rarely do good solutions come from bureaucrats or agenda-filled organizations. Good solutions come from real people that have open minds and good intentions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: