View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #73
VtSteve

Well Sunset, there certainly was irony in the accident given the obvious circumstances. More than one irony in fact. Regardless of what the marina sold, it wasn't what she was piloting. Regardless of the numerical value of the speed limit that passed was, it wouldn't have been appropriate for the conditions that night.

The utter irony of all, is that "most" speed limit proponents have stated this from the beginning, particularly concerning the aforementioned accident. So while I can sympathize with your feelings, I can't equate to the logic used.

If you have accidents involving alcohol, bad conditions or the like, asking for speed limits seems to be a stretch of common sense. Why don't they adopt them everywhere? Maybe they should in some places, and in others, maybe they see no problem. Perhaps you can point out which rules of navigation were apparently not followed properly in last year's accident. You could go back to the next oldest accident and do the same.

Once that's done, perhaps you can relate all of the violations of the 150' rule, NWZ rules, and whatever else has been brought up, to numerical values of speed.

Look, I'm not stupid, I realize why the SL crowd did what they did. But even the environmentally savvy crowd realizes they made a huge mistake promoting bottled water, and has changed their minds. Same with ethanol. Deal with the problems, not what you want everyone to Think is the problem.

You may find my statement hard to swallow, but it's been proven to be true time after time. Virtually no SL supporter has participated in any discussions related to safety, PWC hitting a moored boat, none of that. I find it extremely hard to swallow that you're pointing to hypocrisy, yet you have no posts in any of the safety-related forums I can find. Until proven different, I find that the most rabid supporters of the SL itself rarely, if ever mention safety on the water, or how to promote it.

That sir, is hwy you're not taken seriously in any boating debate.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: