View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Rich

People don't realize that a lot of these RC aircraft are not really toys.

These things can and do go out of control from time to time! Sometimes it's the pilot's fault, other times it's just a failure of some sort.

They can be dangerous to the point of death. Imagine a 1 to 50 pound object flying at 20 to 100 (or more) MPH hititng someone. Not to be morbid, but one must respect them at all times! And don't forget that most of these things are flying with some sort of a meat grinder (propeller) on them.

Even the ones sold as toys can hurt someone.

I fly with plenty of liability insurance, and one of the rules of the insurance is that you can NEVER fly over people.

The most damage I've ever done was to myself as a teenager, getting my thumb stuck in a spinning propeller, and I have the scars to prove it!

But I have crashed a few ($$$)!

With this said, I've taught many people to fly over the years, they are fun and I've been doing this since I was 10 years old (on and off and on again).

I fly both fixed wing (airplane) and rotary wing (helicopter) aircraft.

Prices of these things go from $100 on up to more than you might imagine.

Even the multirotor (the latest fad, lots of people call these 'drones') can be dangerous, but most don't think of it this way. They just see the fun and novelty.

I've also been thinking of configuring a floating multirotor with a camera to do some on-water flying, but the cost, vs the benefit has me holding off. There are some 'toy like' (in price) units that some people fly a go-pro camera on, but they don't fly as stable as the better units (about $1,000). And imagine the cost if they hit the water and sink (even the go-pro camear itself costs $300 to $400)! And one should NEVER fly them over people or near an airport!!

If anyone wants to know more about RC aircraft, I'm happy to answer. It takes a lot of practice and skill to learn to fly one of these.

Even full scale pilots think they can fly an RC plane, but it's a different experience that has to be learned. The major difference that most forget is that you're no longer sitting in the cockpit of the plane, but on the ground watching the aircraft. So you have to learn to fly with it coming towards you, where the controls seem reversed (try doing something while looking in a mirror to see what I mean), as well as all other angles of view. Usually full scale pilots often make the worst RC students, because they think they already know how to fly! Given the proper instruction, they can become good RC pilots too.

But I still think it would be fun to have a few of us flying together from the back of our boats (of course always taking into account all nessesary safety precautions).

Something like this will give you an idea of RC float flying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivTjjBOE1eU

Last edited by Rich; 03-10-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post: