Thread: Splitting maple
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 06:44 PM   #28
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Himm do you have any experience splitting rounds with a maul or a sledge & wedges as the OP does?

Anyway, a 6 lb maul with a 36" handle with a leaned swing does come down with a bit of force.

Alan
Yes actually I do, quite a bit of experience. I also paid attention to the fact she said it isn't working for her. In fact I have enough experience to also understand that lifting a 6 lb maul over your head and swinging onto a log is probably not the best idea for someone with a prosthetic shoulder. Her condition? probably results in her not being able to generate as much power as someone without a prosthetic shoulder.

This tool has a smaller chisel edge which will focus the force of the strike into a smaller area effectively providing more bang for each strike. The strike does not require the range of motion that handling a maul requires. It doesn't require you to lift it over your head and swing it. I haven't used one of these devices, since I can still swing a maul, but if I end up in her situation I would consider it. There are other styles of inexpensive splitters that look to require less shoulder impinging force than a maul too. I suggested one for her to try, that if it works, won't cost her an arm and a leg, since she is trying to save money. This device also doesn't require her to lift the wood onto it.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote