View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
topwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
First of all, the town buying the building would do nothing but cost the town between $400k-500k, with zero benefit. That lot includes not only the store but also the property including the building with Mahoney Plumbing. It is assessed at $445,600. That generates around $6,500 in taxes. It would do nothing to change the corner, because the road is not town property, it is State owned Route 11.
It is a historic building to Alton, having been built in the early 1850's,having seen many changes over the years. There was a laundromat in it, there was an ice cream parlor in it, a bakery., etc. .
Is it old? Yes. What makes the business in that locating is not the lot, but the people who ran it. The Mitchells had it for 10 years, the McMahons, about the same.
I would rather go to Busy Corner than to a 7-11or some cookie cutter store. It just needs the right people to run it. Keep the locals happy along with the year round weekenders, and they will succeed.
Oh, and I dare say there is more parking at Busy Corner than at the Village Store. Just my humble opinion, yours may vary.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
However I dare say the Village store does 5 times the business, Why? gas pumps and parking. You can easily park 9 cars at the village store plus 4 at the gas pumps and 2-3 more on the road side of the gas pumps. I have delivered to both stores for MANY YEARS, and there is no discussion about who is busier. That 90 corner has always been a pain and tearing down the building would help immensely. Have the State kick in some money. they waste enough of it everywhere else.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote