View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #258
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

(Many could "live" with that one!)

One missed opportunity to collect DATA occurred late Tuesday evening, when I announced to the gathering of my clan outdoors at our BBQ dinner:

The reverberations of the sundeck that alerted me were caused by an all-white ~48' GFBL (at about 60-MPH), which appeared to be a brand-new design.

It drove noisily past the four families who rent this neighborhood's newest lakefront cottages, and pulled a stunt directly in front of my own gathering.

I don't think I've ever seen such a stunt pulled by something so large, so fast, and so noisy. It silenced all lakefront discussions in my neighborhood while engaged in starting a "donut" directly in front us! When I thought he was going to do a 180º and turn back, he completed a 270º at high speed, slowed and "parked" at our newest McMansion—A stunt worthy of a Jet-Ski!

No supporters of a compromise were made that evening!

Maybe "Opponents" can figure out who your own worst enemies truly are.

For another matter, why attempt to demonize cruisers (or those super-wakemakers, MP-11 and MP-7 boats) to benefit the GFBL "image"? Does a 27' BAJA towing a raft or wake-boarder on this lake make no wake?

They're not in front of my place in the numbers of last year—and they're certainly not pouncing!

So just where are they gathering data? It's not here!
You must certainly have loved our discussions of the dangerous boaters, the Boneheads, even from last year. And yes, I agree, peer pressure should come from those that "Should" realize who their worst enemies are. Same as always.

How about that enforcement?

Most of us don't condone that type of activity APS. I know for sure that, strictly speaking for myself, I'm as always as careful as I can be out in large sections of water, so as not to get complacent. I spotted a rowboat while on the Mount last Saturday. He was about a mile and a half East of Glendale in the open water. A kayak would have been much harder to see. I worry about things like that, so I'm overly cautious. But if the day ever comes when I can't see a sailboat from afar, I'll hang up my boat keys for good (or check into Lasix)

Believe it or not APS, many of us aren't that far off in what we want, and how careful we are. Certainly, there are differences in perspective, but not the reality. I think you'd be surprised at how cautious and responsible most of the SL opponents are on this board. I for one, know that my eyes couldn't keep up (safely), with an 80 mph boat anymore. I also know that when I was a little guy, I had the common sense not to row or paddle in the middle of the lake.

Somewhere in the middle, lies true wisdom.