View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #201
chmeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
Thanks Steve, I had a great day on the lake. It was hot and sunny here and Winnipesaukee was very busy, but very civilized again. Hope you enjoyed the day up on your lake.
I just can't get over the difference a simple little law has made. You might not be able to see that from your vantage in VT, but having been out on Lake Winnipesaukee for well over 600 hours so far this spring/summer, I have witnessed the improvement first hand.
Wow, 600 hours, that's pretty impressive. Almost like a full time job! Actually, it is a full time job, that would be 40 hours per week assuming you've been out since the beginning of May. Especially impressive given the almost non-stop rain through May, June, & July.

To be entirely honest, I feel like the percentage of GFBs has not changed at all. Sure, there are not as many of them this year, but there are not as many of every type of boat. I did in fact see the biggest GFB I've ever seen twice on Sunday. It was a 52 foot something or other with a closed cockpit. Interestingly, he was one of the more civil boaters I've seen on this lake. He came out of the Gilford Town Docks at headway speed all the way out past Locks Island before taking off. I saw him again later on idling through the Bear Island NWZ.

(Please excuse the low-res, long distance shot)

Interestingly, I did have the good fortune of meeting the biggest moron I've ever seen on the lake. Going through the Bear Island NWZ from north to south, I look back and see a 25 or so foot center console steaming towards me, bow high, max wake. He banked right about 75 feet behind me and passed by my starboard side about 20 feet off, still maximum wake (in the NWZ). I honked, he smiled and kept going towards Sheps, never slowing below 20 mph or so.