Thread: Pier 19 Store
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 05:56 AM   #15
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I don't see why this couldn't be made a viable year-round entity, given that the closest "grocery" resources in the area (Hunter's & Harvest in Wolfeboro and Skelly's in M'boro) are each about 8 miles from that location. With its size, the Pier 19 facility could support the stock/variety of be more of a grocery store and not solely "convenience." Given the ample parking, convenient main road location, and the added bonus of the side "take out" window for summer fare, it seems this place could serve as a destination for those who can't or don't want to make an 8-mile trek in either direction.
Grant:

The grocery business is brutal. There is no money in it at all. The Walmarts of the world sell product at retail that is less than what a mom and pop can buy product at wholesale! This location has had problems supporting its self for years. The price at $1.6MM is way too high in my opinion. I think the price of that building needs to be half of the asking price before that is a viable location for a grocery store. The locals drive to Walmart most of the time to get better prices and the seasonal folks are only there to pay premium prices a few months a year. If you were to run the business only on a seasonal basis the price would need to be much lower to account for the fact that it would be closed 7 or 8 months per year.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote