View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #95
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
This is very inaccurate. This is a misnomer many try to pro-port. College educations are not necessary to make a good living.

High school diplomas are good for many high paying jobs, many union jobs such as truck driving, plumbers electricians and other trade jobs. These jobs have pay rates closer to 80-100 per hour with excellent benefits. There is a severe shortage of these trade skill labor type worker.

However they do require hard physical labor that this generation does not seem to embrace.

In reality these jobs have higher pay and better benefits than those with liberal arts degrees that cost over 100,000.00

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I didn't say only college--even trade schools are becoming prohibitively expensive, as my nephew, who is an incredibly hard worker, has figured out. Even though he's willing to work for the dealership he's at, and even though they're willing to send him for some training, it's gonna take a long time to get the education he needs to make decent money.

My other nephew is currently pursuing an electrician's license, which also requires a lot of education and apprenticeship time, and is in a similar boat.

My father, with an 8th grade education, ran machines for 40 years. In his last ten, they wouldn't hire anyone without some credentials, most with college degrees.

There's a reason so many young people are living at home with their parents until much later, and it has nothing to do with laziness or choice. The cost of living--rent, food, etc.--has outgrown the access to well-paying jobs.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote