View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #28
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
Some people seem to have an interesting definition of "local shopping". For the record, Lowe's, Home Depot and Wal-mart are not considered "local shopping". Local shopping means a locally owned store where the profits stay (and recirculate) in the community. BIBA (www.bibanh.org) is an example of locally owned businesses. Lowe's and Home Depot may employ local people, but the profits from the business are sucked out of the community, to the detriment of the community. Any national chain is not considered "local shopping" (well, maybe using a Wal-Mart in Benton, Arkansas would be considered local shopping....)

I am building a $500,000 house, with all locally purchased supplies (nothing from Lowe's or Home Depot, for example). Appliances from Barrons; lumber, etc. from LaValley; flooring, etc. from Color Shed and other local suppliers, etc., etc. Sure, its a little more expensive, but it supports MY community.
I hear ya. We built a new house in the Fall/Winter of 2008 So we did our part to help out the local contractors.

The one thing those stores do bring in is a tax base. HD and Lowe's don't send any kids to the local schools and the stores over here do contribute to the local community quite often. Not sure what the Wal-mart does.

I buy from LL Bean but all their stuff is made in China and Malaysia. So the profits stay here but the wages for the manufacturing of the goods are paid over their. Go figure
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote