Thread: Lavinias
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
KarenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane View Post
I had a disappointing experience at Lavinia's last night. I know this is the busiest season and it's best to have reservations, which I did not. I arrived at around 6:30 and was told that they didn't have any open seats and it would be about a 45 minute wait. I could see that the tavern was pretty full but when I peeked in the room on the right there were several vacant tables. I was told that they were booked. Hard to believe that people would be coming soon to fill up all those tables, be served, eat and leave, in a half hour so that I could be seated there. Then I peeked into the dining room on the left which was all vacant except for one table full of diners. When I asked about that I was told that "we're not serving in that room tonight"....well, except I guess for the table full of people that were in there eating. The guy did not seem encouraging at all so I left, ended up at Lago where they are always friendly and welcoming. Just wondered what other people's experience has been.
Here is a bit about reservations that may explain why you were quoted a 45 minute wait:

Each restaurant has an average time a table is occupied - usually related to the type of dining offered. In a fine dining establishment like Lavinia's, that average can be 2 to 2.5 hours. This isn't a reflection on the restaurants service, rather it speaks to the type of experience guests desire. Unfortunately, if a table is reserved for 7:45, the restaurant is unable to seat another guest there any later than 5:15 to ensure first that the seated guest has sufficient time to enjoy their evening, and second to be sure the reservation is seated promptly. By the way, this is a decision made by the restaurant to provide the best possible service, at the cost of "turning tables".

For those who prefer not making reservations, feel free to tell a hostess if you prefer a short dining experience. If you know that you would only like a quick delicious meal, they may be able to accommodate you with the knowledge that the table would need to be available for the incoming reservation.

As you all have noted, staffing is also a challenge, requiring that the restaurant owner limit the amount of guests based on the ability of their staff. Every restaurant owner would love to see every seat filled every night, and I applaud those that compromise their own bottom line in favor of their guests.
KarenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarenM For This Useful Post: