View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #140
tntm_71we

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGuy View Post
Mr. Mullen,
I believe it would be more informative if you posted your "Wave Fence" proposal for all Forum Members to see. That way everyone will have a clear picture of what you are proposing.

Thanks in Advance
NH Guy
NHGuy,

Sorry, I don't have our plan in a form that I can post on this site. Let me try to describe what we hope to do. Our primary adversary is the northwest wind and the swells that travel a pretty long fetch from Belknap Point and Lockes Island down to Ellacoya. Our first line of defense about 75 to 100 feet out from and pretty much parallel to the shore will be a boulder breakwater which will pretty much knock down the waves and leave the water behind that breakwater very calm. We plan two docks coming out toward the break water, one running all the way to the breakwater then turning and running parallel to and suspended from the breakwater. The second dock will run out from the shore about fifty feet where it will also turn and run parallel to the shore and the breakwater.

Both docks will be open underneath allowing for water flow back and forth along the shore. Suspended down from both docks will be boards not unlike ballisters on a staircase. The boards will be about five inches apart and they will be suspended in the water deeply enough to knock the tops off waves that come past or around the breakwater. These boards coupled with the breakwater make up what you refer to as a wave fence.

The docks being open underneath and the wave fencing under the docks allowing sand laden water to flow back and forth across the waterfront of Ellacoya and Lake Shore Park are designed to address any and all concerns that Lake Shore Residents have voiced about sand migration. Both Lake Shore Park and our Sailing Center, as well as DRED's Division of Parks and Recreation want to feel comfortable that what the LWSA is doing will not cause a deterioration of either property's beach areas. I will try to get our plans put into a PDF format so they can be sent out to all parties interested in what we propose to do in that location.

Regards,

Tom Mullen
tntm_71we is offline   Reply With Quote