View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #219
fatlazyless

How safe is it around here? Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their own choice for personal protection, be it a .45 semi pistol or a kitchen broom. Me, I think I'll stick with the kitchen broom, or maybe a tennis racquet, and just use it to wave off any would be bad guys, because using a handgun in most cases just escalates a situation. Do not mean to be nasty here or be a jerk, but come on, if Ward had thought to use a broom, would he now be a long term guest down at the gray-bar hotel?

Going back to 1992, I've had a total of one time at my cottage on Meredith Neck when I felt a little threatened by an outsider. It was summer, July or August, maybe five years ago, and I was dressed like a house painter because I was outside painting the cottage. A large young white male, maybe 22-years, 225-lb, 6' with an extremely aggressive attitude and spoken language walks around the house, sees me, and he says that he is selling magazine subscriptions, and had some real good magazine deals. So, I had been cleaning a paint brush or something, and I immediately say " you know you need to have a police permit from the Meredith Police to sell magazines, door to door." He says "yes, I have a permit and shows me one from Gilford, but not Meredith." All things considered at that time, I quickly decided not to bring that up, and just told him that I was just the painter, didn't want any magazines, and that the home owner was not home.......and he left. But boy, I tell you, from his demeanor, I would not have wanted to let him inside the house.....no way.

It is simply much better to scare them off and call the police than to confront with a gun. You are not the police, and the legal system gives the police the benefit of any doubts on their enforcement practice. Call me a chicken if you want, but I would just rather avoid a confrontation, and just go play some tennis, than to spend a lot of time w/ the legal system. Better to shoot an ace on the tennis court than to shoot a .45 in personal defense. As soon as you shoot just one bullet in self-defense, either as a warning shot, or trying to hit someone, it probably opens up a big can of trouble. Go hide under the crawlspace or something, and let the police be the neighborhood protectors.