View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #39
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Seems like a lot of folks are painting renters and those who rent boats with a pretty broad brush. I think we all need to be somewhat more tolerant and maybe even a little more helpful when we see what appears to be an inexperienced boater struggling to do something that seems easy for a more experienced boater.
I can think back on the many times that I have docked in a challenging crosswind as if my boat was on rails......I can also remember (although I try to forget) how many times I tried to do so in less challenging conditions when my boat didn't do anything I thought it should be doing and surely gave the impression to anybody watching that it was my first time out.
We've all been there.
I would absolutely agree that we should lend a hand if we can. I am more than happy to help out, either with advice or to grab a line. But I have to admit that I do paint them with a broad brush as well. Any time I see a rental on the open water, no matter what marina they are from, I do assume they are clueless and make a point of staying clear of them. I will always give them the right of way no matter which direction they are headed because I assume they have no idea. Better safe than sorry.