View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #112
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Hummm, guess we have different glasses.

I'll totally confess to your comment "You're way too cynical on the inability of government and people to help the lake." The problem is I work for uncle Sam, and it is as corrupt and inefficient and wrong-headed as many believe. The incompetence of many of my coworkers dumbfounding and the countless wasted tax dollars I see every day is enough to make me literally sick every day. I once had this epiphany, that we should never have a military draft unless the enemy is marching onto our shores, BUT, if you want to make the United States government better, make EVERY kid serve 1 full year as a civil servant as soon as they graduate from high school and before college or any time off period. After a year if they dont want to change things in government, then there is no hope for the future and government will forever more remain dysfunctional.

Regarding "Gas guzzler taxes and MPG requirements did improve average fuel economy." Sorry, most of it is a lie, the actual EPA ratings are worthless and do not represent how people use their cars. In addition the manufacturers fudge the tests to make their numbers look good. Perfect example was the brilliant but total fraud of the diesel emission testing. My current truck averages 12MPG in real world driving, just the same as if you had a 1975 truck of the same class. And if you want a 30MPG car, you can certainly find many, but they were actually also available in 1975, just less people wanted them back then.

As for your comment "Government incentives for EVs (and solar) have been essential to getting both of those industries off the ground, and we are now weaning ourselves off of them as the economics of the new technology are becoming equal to the old entrenched stuff." AGREED! But in truth that money didnt come from no where, "I" am paying for those changes, and as I dont use any of them, arguably, "I" am not getting anything for my tax dollars. How is that fair?

I will forego any discussion about what is best from an environmental perspective for the moment, even though I believe EV cars and the whole solar industry "currently" have just as many problems as the carbon-fuel industry. They may be different environmental problems, but they unquestionably have them. But I will concede that if the "current" EV car and solar industry stay small, its a reasonable stepping stone to a better future that will come in time.

Well thats what I see through my glasses. Your vision my be different.
Our disagreement on EVs and gas guzzler taxes is irrelevant to my original point. My original point was that government taxes, incentives, and rules can change people's behavior (and thus can help the lake). You might not like EVs, just for example, but I'm pretty sure you'd agree that without the $7500 rebate (that is now being phased out), the EV industry would be much smaller.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote