View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
A Spare Air is sometimes called a "Spare Breath" due to their size. Off the top of my head they are I think, about 2-4 cubic feet as opposed to my 19 cf Pony. Of course even bigger Ponys are available.

Not trying to scare anyone but please think it through. Bottom line is Spare Airs are fantastic to have and could easily save your life but a true Pony is the way to go.
Don't worry about scaring anyone...out-of-air emergencies are the leading cause of dive fatalities. And gimmicky things like "Spare Air" can provide a false -- and dangerous -- sense of security. If you really want spare air, go with a pony. I use a 30 cf AL to complement my steel 100. Or, I should say "I carry" it. Thankfully, I've never to use it. Some of dive buddies actually use their pony bottles for drysuit or BCD inflation...so they are only using their primary can(s) for breathing. But you have to keep an eye on the pony level -- wouldn't want it low if needed. Another friend has his 7-ft. octo hose attached to a 60 cf pony (and then his 'personal' octo on a very short necklaced hose...nice rig. So many configurations...so little time...