View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I would have too. As I said, I loved seeing it. What a shame insurance is so darn difficult.
While it was a marvel to see out on the lake, it is probably best served becoming part of a museum, as it is destined now.

Insurance is obviously one factor in the fate of the Mini Mount. But there are others as well...... For someone to keep the boat as a personal vessel, and thus get it back on the water, there where obstacles beyond insurance.....

Having a place to dock the boat... At 50' long and 10 Tons, your average homeowners dock was not going to work......

Trying to house the boat out of the water becomes expensive as well... winter storage at 30$ per foot.... 1,500 dollars by itself... let alone winterization etc. every year... And if you don't have a dock to leave it at, that storage fee just goes up as it will need to be stored year around.

Lets face it, there are also very few facilities capable of dealing with the boat, getting it in and out of the water... And even fewer Marina's that would have a slip able to deal with her.

Mr. Miller did a wonderful thing and created a truly unique icon... But it was not destined to sail the waters of the lake forever.... and if you have seen the tight quarters you would understand why. It was his hobby, his muse, but no one else could ever love it and be as dedicated to it as he was.

The great news is that it didn't end up rotting away, in a warehouse or scrap yard. Thanks to Doug Smith, Tim Lacey, Al Dirth, Dave Tarbox and Bob Baker she has been restored to be idolized. She will not become a piece of folklore that is simply discussed, people will be able to touch and feel her for years to come when the vision of the NH Boat Museum is finished with the display location...

It broke my heart when she rested in Center Harbor exposed to the elements, I often considered what it would be like to owner her... But I always knew, it just wasn't feasible.... I was so happy when she was bought to be restored, and I too hoped that just maybe she would get one more final cruise... But I understand why her fate is what it is, and as sad as some might consider it, I see it as a bright future, as it could have turned out much sadder....