View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
I've always poured the AF into the block by removing the hose after the thermostat and pouring the AF into the block there. My experience is limited to inboards with GM blocks. I also believe you don't "need" to fill the block with AF, as long as you drain the block and manifolds properly.
Funny you mention this as it seems opinions vary. I backfill my block and also the risers and stern drive till I hear it pouring out the intake so I know the impeller housing is full of it too. Takes 3 gallons to do it all and I guess I feel better doing so and have a simple reason for that. If there is any raw water left anywhere it will be mixed with the antifreeze and thus cannot possibly cause a problem. If I can't put 3 gallons in I know something didn't completely drain and I have to find out why. It's hard to gauge how much comes out when draining, refilling is the only way I have comfort in knowing things drained right. It should also be noted that antifreeze has a rust inhibitor in it, at least the stuff I use. Whether it is in the least bit effective or not is a different story but hey I feel better with it full of antifreeze versus not.

I know somebody that just drains the block, risers and manifolds and leaves it as is. Never had a problem either.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote