View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #102
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Remember, when the bill was proposed and the governor looked at it and the NH boating stats his comment was that he didn't think this law was necessary. It became necessary politically after Diamond Island, nothing more than that!
"Speed Limit Reality" has been in existence since proposal LSR430 in 2002, so the delays leading to the Diamond Island collision can only be laid at the feet of the opponents.

Any lawyer, like this Governor, would have reviewed all the relevant legislation proposed since Winnipesaukee's worst Hit & Run fatality. He would know of the existence of the mildest possible bill put forth in 2002 in response to a needless death. It was the very simple legislative proposal "25mph speed limit at-night-only". The proposal was titled LSR430, and sponsored by Representative Paul Hatch of Wolfeboro. The Governor would have reviewed correspondence put forth by both sides.

In response to this mildest of rules, a very long "open letter" to Rep Paul Hatch appeared at this Winni.com forum before you joined here. It began,
Quote:
Mr. Hatch,

I feel the need to write this letter in opposition to your proposed legislation, LSR 430, imposing a 25mph nighttime speed limit on Lake Winnipesaukee. For the record, I am a permanent resident of Laconia and an avid boater on Lake Winnipesaukee. I strongly disagree with your proposed legislation for the following reasons.

1. Economic Impact: I do not think the economic impact of your proposal has been thoroughly examined. Many people who live on the Laconia/Meredith side of the lake would no longer frequent many establishments in Wolfeboro such as the WOLFETRAP
{snip}
While Wolfetrap played a role, there can be no question Diamond Island played the key role, as you state. I quoted Les Hall as saying that here, and I used even fewer words to say the same thing.

But the fault lies with those who stopped the mildest political response possible (LSR430) and, in a political response to a second needless death, received HR847 instead.