Thread: Pit Bulls
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #58
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Just some thoughts

Frist BR, I am sorry that you had a to loose your dog in such a way, it is never easy...

2nd, many homeowners insurance policies, will not renew policies if an aggressive breed is found to be residing in the home. And it isn't just pitbulls, rotwillers, etc. that are considered aggressive. My Aunt has Malamutes and had trouble with her insurance company a couple of years back.

3rd while it is true certain species have more agressive personalities, it is always the lack of responsibility on the part of the owner that causes the problem. I have seen pitbulls, rotwillers, dobermans etc. all make great pets. But in order to do so takes a certain type of owner. Someone that understands that dogs traits, and can provide the attention and constant training that these dogs need.

All dogs have inate tendencies, my springer for instantence is a hunting dog, and while I don't hunt with him, my wife and I do train and work with him constantly. This allows his natural tendancy to want to track, flush, and retrieve, to be full filled in a constructive maner. When I see well behaved Rotwillers, Pits etc. they usually have owners that understand the agressive nature of the dogs, and also find ways to allow them to get that aggression out constructively. I have found when I see dogs snap, and attack, it is generally because the owners, have not found a way to constructively live with their dogs traits, and try and restrain the dog from showing those traits, and thus the dogs eventually snaps.

Last dogs are dogs, they are animals, there genelogy is to be aggressive, and that is true of any dog. Look at the behavior of the wolfs. They are very agressive, even towards there own pack. However in a pack the behavior is understood and not a suprise to any of the members. Dogs think of humans as part of the pack, they expect us to understand their behavior, alas oftern we do not.

Don't blame the dog, the problem is always the owner. And the bottom line is some people just don't care, or don't take the time to learn and understand their dog.