View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #31
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
Tilton BB
Thanks for the message. What irks me most about your post is
1.) assuming that anything would be better if the 5 kids "all had the same last name", and
2.) placing all the responsibility for the 5 kids and their situation on the woman

Mr. V and others,
My brother and his wife decided early on to support their three boys through the boy's undergraduate degrees. That means, housing, tuition, transportation (very used but serviceable), car insurance and health insurance, clothing etc etc. The boys worked at various jobs during that period but the fact remains that they had a "leg up" early in their lives and that is a wonderful thing.
I don't think that it is totally unusual and for those who say that they "made it" themselves to have had a "leg up" and assume that others have also and don't credit the (roughly) 100k+ help they received toward their eventual success.
Of course, there are many successful people who started out with nothing right after high school and truly made it from there, on their own.
At this point it doesn't matter whose real responsibility the 6 kids are, the taxpayers are footing the bill. By the time her kids become adults it will have cost taxpayers in excess of one million dollars to raise them. Is that fair?

And yes, the kids and society would be better off if the kids had the same last name and the father was involved in their lives. Statistics show that kids in broken or fatherless homes are less likely to succeed in life.

And, if the woman continued to make lousy choices in partners and continued to crank out babies it is certainly a lot more her responsibility to provide for them than it is anyone elses.