View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Less Mills - logging center

I read with great interest the book "As I remember Moultonboro" by Frances George Stevens, in which she explained that the entire little bay in front of Lees Mills was filled to the brim with floating logs during the heyday of logging and milling at Lees Mills, and there were railroad tracks around perimeter of bay (as you look out from Lees Mills, to the left) which were part of the logging operation. You can still see some of the tracks under water. David Thompson - of the Steamboat Rally fame - would very likely know what you saw: barge/steamboat/railroad tracks/dock.

As a point of interest, author Frances George Stevens is the aunt of David Thompson. She is the sister of David's late mother, Jesse George Thompson, and Jesse was a former postmistress in Moultonboro and a good friend of mine, even though she was the same age as my mother. The Georges/Thompsons/Stevens are long-time Moultonboro families, as well as long-time steamboat families and David probably knows every square inch of the area in and around Lees Mill.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redwing For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links