Thread: Wow trail
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #54
jetskier

Post Not correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64 View Post
While this may be technically correct, I don't think it reflects reality. I live on the railroad and it is only used by the Hobo Railroad. While the Hobo may be profitable, they are using state owned and maintained assets. Other than the yearly mini railroad car parade and the hundreds of people walking along the railroad, Hobo is the only user. I can't imagine the state will ever recover the costs of rebuilding the RR after the flash flood a few years ago that washed out the Weirs and many other places from Laconia to Lincoln.

A freight company may have the rights but as I said, I live on the railroad and it is very poorly maintained. This current railroad would fall apart with freight. I can pull out a hundred spikes with my own hands in the RR in front of my house.

Personally, I'd enjoy the wow trail. I'd ride my bike to the Weirs and to downtown Meredith. However, I don't think it can be built with the rails still in existing.
The New England Southern Railroad ran a load over the tracks a few weeks back. I posted a picture (another one attached) and there was a picture in the Laconia Daily Sun. First, the Hobo/Winnipesaukee Scenic railroad pay the state for use of the rail road ROW. The state is responsible for maintaining the railway. The numbers that I heard is that the revenue for the Hobo/Winnipesaukee Railroad was about $1M and they paid the state $100k.

The New England Southern Railroad is a federally licensed common carrier with rights to use the railroad.

Jetskier
Attached Images

Last edited by jetskier; 12-16-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post: