View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 03:13 PM   #68
LRSLA

Default The Noise is real

This is the problem with limited communication, errors are made on both sides.

First I am NOT an avid snowmobiler. I do own two Polaris 440 sports that I have had for twelve years. In the last twelves years I have put less the five hundred miles on them.

Second, yes my wifes grandfather was one of the original founders of a auto chain. He started when it took three months to drive across the country. But NO her family no longer owns the company, it is a publicly traded company on the NYSE. What this has to do with boating I am not sure.

Third, related to the red Boat, I was in error, I was attempting to point out that smaller boats can make just as much noise. I am sure you are aware of the Rinkers with the side hull exhaust on the lake at this time. There is a trend in recreational boating to sell bow-rider Family type boats that have thru the hull exhaust.

As far as the number of citations you have received, I was only repeating what was told to me by the Wardens. If I was in error I stand corrected.

On LRSLA being one sided, give us a break, we are less then a year old and in that year we have accomplished more in the area of Safe Boating in the Region then had been accomplished in last fifty years. We are a young organization.

As for the Noise and interrupting conversations......
Your disbelief shows that you truly do not understand the impact that the noise is having on the residents. I can only tell you once again that it is this bad and I am not exaggerating in any way the impact. Do you think I want to spend the time I have spent on this issue.
I would much rather be out fishing or spending it with my family.

This is one of the reasons I have so much anger at the noise issue. It has increased to a point were it literally ruins my ability to enjoy my home.

As for the location of my home. I have also been in the area for about thirty years. When I built my home there was not one boat with exhaust like yours on the lake. Once or twice a year a ski boat would come on the lake with straight (dry) pipes, but it would be gone in a day or two. Now there are at least twenty high performance boats on the lake. Their presence permeates the lake environment from one end to the other.
I have calculated that one of the boats passing down the lake is equivalent to at least twenty tractor trailer (eighteen wheelers) passing down the lake at the same time.

So we are now blessed with thirty to forty pass bys on a given summer weekend.

The issue is not that there is traffic on the lake it is that there are boats that are illegal on the lake. On any given weekend I have hundreds of boats passing my property. yet it is the ones that I can hear six miles off in the distance and six miles after they head up lake that seems to be having the greatest impact.

The green scarab was tested at 1/2 mile at 72db, this would mean that he
would have to be at least 95 db operational at 50 feet. 20db over the limit.
Since every three db is a 100% increase in noise intensity, he would be
at least 700% over the legal limit. One Speed was tested at 86db at 200feet
which would mean he would be close to 100db at fifty feet. 25db over the
legal limit, or almost 1000% increase in noise intensity from the legal limit.
You guys need to spend some time studying sound. I could on with twenty six other measurments.

Dude, you have a beautiful boat, i was just down the river last weekend and it was shinny and clean, you should be proud of it. I know your a good guy. I avoided you at the meeting we were at last year for a reason. This issue has impacted me so horribly that I could not control my anger when you introduced your self to me. I just wanted to avoid you, thats it.

I know you would find me a good guy also, I am a good dad, I work hard in my profession, I am well liked and respected, hell I even have great karma,
but I need to protect my investment in my home and ensure that
I can continue to enjoy it.

All I can say is I would rather be spending my time on other issues, but this one hit me were I live literally.

As for LRSLA and it's goals, your are within your right to believe what ever you choose. I work at the direction of my board of directors. We are a Safe Boating and a Quiet Lakes Association. Purchasing 150 hours of Warden coverage for a season is not little task. When the Warden is on the lake he is there to support boating safety. Our safety signs were at three well traveled locations on the lake, and our kids safety coloring books were at
three local restaurants.