Thread: Cost of fuel...
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #103
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
All this talk about EV's, what is the additional cost to install a charging station at your house.
It’s a pretty wide range depending on what you want and what you have.

One house I had an existing 30A 240V heater in the garage, that I rarely used.
So I added an A/B switch and a 2nd outlet. Probably $100.00 and did it myself.

Other house I installed a Tesla Wall Connector. By luck I was able to put it right after the main house disconnect and added a sub panel. Probably $700 and did it myself. Professional might have been $1500.00-ish

There is a pretty wide range on charge rates. Faster rates are more convenient but not always required. If you drive 300 miles a day you might want the max 60A (to charge at say 30 mph) and you might not have the capacity, so it could cost $1000’s to upgrade your service. Or you drive 20 miles a day, you can use a 120V outlet and charge at a rate of 3 miles per hour.

Remember you typically charge while you sleep. As long as it’s ready by morning is all you need. Depends on how much you drive.

Rates in MA are much higher and you DO NOT save a ton. I save because I have Solar. Rates are better in NH. So you would probably cut fuel by 50%. It’s a lot of money to save that much on fuel. More you drive the more you save.

Sone parts of the country only pay like 0.08 Kw/h. NH is 0.17 KWh/h. MA is 0.26 kW/h.

With price if gas going up savings could potentially go much higher. But who knows where everything will settle long term.

Gas savings is only one reason to go EV. How they drive, the tech, the safety are other reasons.