View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 10:50 PM   #18
Senter Cove Guy

Default What's it like down there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waukewanderer
I'd like to read more about your Lake diving finds. It gives a perspective on the Lake that most of us will never experience. What's it like down there? Can you dive in the Broads, or is it too dangerous? Have you or your fellow divers ever found any Indian artifacts on the lake bottom? Have you ever dived in Waukewan?
Diving for me is a very calming experience. I love it down there. It's pretty quiet except for the sound of your bubbles. There's a lot of muck, sand, leaves, rocks and fish. And yes, there's wrecks, artifacts and treasures. Winnipesaukee Divers is the master of finding treasures. Search the Forum archives for some of his stories. Grant likes to search for old bottles. A really old bottle can be worth some cash.

Even in mid-summer, the water at 60 feet deep is cold. Gloves and a hood are a must. The visibility in Winnipesaukee last summer was not very good, 7 - 10 feet around the car in 29 feet of water. A little better in deeper water although the sunlight disappears quickly as you descend. Your dive buddy's facial skin takes on a gray and ghoulish look.

To my knowledge there's nothing dangerous in The Broads but nobody dives there because it's so deep and not much to see even if you could see it.

Hope that gives you a little perspective of what it's like down there.

I've never dived in Waukewan but perhaps I will someday.

I'm looking forward to doing some wreck diving in the St. Lawrence River this summer with the folks from Dive Winnipesaukee.