View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #35
mowtorman

Default ski races

I think you are referring to the Hiliner Red Baron that lived on Black Cat Island.
It was a little over twenty feet with a small v8 and an OMC outdrive. Not a fast boat but good looking. The real Red Baron was a high horsepower red Donzi that lived in Wolfeboro in the 70's that was a sight to see on a choppy day. One of the prettiest boats I knew of was a Donzi Fino owned by a man named Davidson who lived in the boathouse property on Long Point of Braun Bay. He introduced one of the first cigarette boats to the lake, sounded like an airplane going down the lake. One of his offshore boats he sold to a relative who later drove the boat in the night right through a cabin on shore near Weirs, I believe people were killed in the accident. I remember seeing the boat out of the water at Channel Marine a few days later, very sobering for a young teen. The accident was quite similar to the Erika Blizzard accident.
I like the idea of running at least an exhibition race. You already have a location. What about starting small with a vintage say ten mile race and
high performance (not offshore) under twenty two foot boat show? There are still a lot of nice old ski boats around.