View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 08:04 PM   #58
Gilligan

Default This should be in a different thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
I was anchored in the cove on Timber Island South. A friend and I decided to do a little sunset skinny dipping when low and behold a P-boat appeared. I've been dipping all my life on this lake and this is the first encounter with the law. We had to make ourselves decent and fear of a ticket for indecent exposure cross our minds.
The officer is not knowledgeable of maritime law. Or did the State of NH pervail? The officer wrote me a ticket because my bow light (red/green) was not on! I had my stern light on and I argued that it is all you need if you are anchoring. He stated that all I need was the red/green light and it must be on if I want to anchor overnight!
Since he said I can anchor overnight and I have a witness we decided to call his bluff. With just the bow light on we stayed. No one bothered us.
I decided to contest this in court and send in a not guilty plea. It's been 4 months and I am still waiting for the court date!
Anyone in the forum had any experience on incompetent officers???
MP and the rules are a whole different topic from this thread. No reason to keep this thread alive. Your event did not involve Timber Island Residents.
Nothing wrong with skinny dipping as long as you are aware of your surroundings. Indecent exposure should be on your mind particularly if you are doing this close to shore. Natural yes but offensive to some and against the law. If this happened 4 months ago you might want to follow up on your case to be sure that there is no warrant out for your arrest. Paperwork can get lost and if you are a no-show they can issue a bench warrant for your arrest.

Start a thread about the MP. They try very hard but some officers are not as knowledgeable as others are. My 2 cents.