View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
One other thing to keep in mind is that the image stabilization mechanism adds extra weight to the binoculars. This may be fine in short bursts but if you are holding them for any length of time, you will feel it in your wrists and shoulders. They are bulkier, too.
I have both. But I always go for the IS ones now.

I love when people have negative comments on something they have obviously zero experience with.

There are probably 20 parameters that make a good binocular, weight is one. Canon also makes some very lightweight IS ones as well but they made other trade offs that take away from what you actually see.

Here is a typical review taken from B&H Photo.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...P.html/reviews

This is not my review below but I very much agree with it. When you look out on the water it feels like you just jumped in someone else's boat and going along for the ride. Or feel like your right next to that loon. They are worth every penny and pound. You can get a "good look" with steady hands on 8x-12x. But you will NOT get this look. When you look up at the sky at night with IS off. You see nothing. Turn on IS and suddenly things pop out of no where. Because the light wasn't persisted in the same spot long enough to see it when hand held. Pretty relaxing lying back in the hammock looking straight up at night. Easier than a tripod.

Quote:
I own or have glassed with most of the Alpha offerings in the binocular world marketplace. Currently, I have several high end porros and top end roofs that offer superb FOV's with accurate color, detailed resolution, visual stereopsis and great build quality. They bring visual enjoyment of the world when I venture on bird or wildlife excursions. I use 7X to 12X optics (depending on venue) and prided myself on hand holding a steady image when using 10X to 12X binos. My past positive experiences using the Canon DSLR IS L-Glass lenses always intrigued me and spiked my interest to try the Canon IS offerings in binoculars. After reading great reviews all over the net, I ordered the 10x42L IS WP from B&H to begin my comparative evaluations. I already understood the possible issues and positive features that the 10x42L was known for. Things like their bulkiness, heft, slow focus speed, lack of high-end ergonomics, quirky accessories and a short, non-transferable warranty period turn many off to the concept of these great optics. However IMHO, any of these possible turnoffs melted away as soon as I engaged their Image Stabilization Prowess...AMAZING! I typically don't use any type of stabilization assist (mono, bi or tri pods) with binoculars and while Hand Holding the 10x42L with image stabilization Engaged (convenient), I can view a Superb, Sharp and detailed point of interest as if I had my top end alpha pair on a tri-pod (inconvenient)!! The 10X42L possess excellent optics (very close to my 10x50 SV's) and with their IS feature turned on, the marked increase in Details, Resolution and Clarity of FOV makes even my glassing steady hands Obsolete. Great Optics, Solid Build, Quality accessories, Quick and Very effective IS function and as a Porro II design, wonderful 3D viewing. Battery life using fresh Lithium's is superb (15 hrs of continuous IS use & charge still at 1.74V)! These unconventional binos now have a permanent place in my excursion outdoor back pack!
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote