View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #71
masssteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The 150' rule has always been almost impossible to enforce from day 1 and short of speed limits and what actually constitutes no wake speed is one of the most debated issues on the lake!

I really dont get why people get thier panties sooo twisted over it! If you have EVER boated anyplace else besides NH inland waterways, other boats can run 10' away from you at full speed and not be breaking ANY laws. 150' was chosen for safety. The MP & the legislature picked this distance KNOWING that it was going to be hard to enforce. But even if a boat comes within 50' or so there is still little chance of collision. A simple rule of thumb.. if you can read thier bow numbers clearly, you are probably too close.

While PUTTING around the lake this weekend on my friends boat (a rather large GFBL) we putted (at no wake speed - 5 MPH on GPS) from Braun Bay, under the Long Island Bridge, thru the 6-Pack, then around Cow Is and out into the Broads... we did not get on plane until maybe 1/2 mile before the twin lights at the Witches heaqding back to the Weirs... in that period of time boats of EVERY type violated the 150' rule. We were laughing and I counted 27 violations where we could very clearly see the bow numbers. That being said, only 4 boats were what I would consider "danger close" a jetski, 2 small bowriders and a pontoon. Those guys were within 25' on plane in a head on situation. The rest were probably 100' away and in no way unsafe.

Go boat in the ocean if you want to see what true crazy boating is...

Woodsy

PS:

OnlyWinni.. there is no short NWZ by the Govenor's Island bridge! Its a very common misconception! That is a just a lighted marker and you can be on plane as long as you are 150' away from the bridge.

Try the mouth of the Merrimac River during a tide change, 50 boats sized from PWC to 50 footers, going different speeds, throwing huge wakes, heading in both directions trying to get through the currents, at about 20 feet from each other. Thats fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to masssteve For This Useful Post: