View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
As an fyi regarding Etecs...You are allowed to use ANY TCW-3 rated oil in an Etec. HOWEVER, there is a different setting the motor is set to if your not using their full synthetic XD-100 oil. These other settings allow more oil to the motor, so while you may be saving money by the gallon its burning more in the engine so what are you really saving?? Using the XD-100 setting, you burn approximately 1 gallon of oil per 100 gallons of gas. I believe the TCW-3 setting doubles the amount of oil used.

Dan
The sounds like it has more to do with Synthetic vs. Non-Synthetic.... although BRP may have implemented the switch to indicate there oil vs. TCW-3..... There oil is TCW3 but it is a synthetic blend. According to the BRP websites, there are two setting on the new ETC... On for using the XD-100, and the other for everything else, including their XD-50.....

TCW-3 is a specification that oil MUST Meet.... From a lubrication aspect. The brands all differ by what additives they use to meet the lubrication specifications.... The manufactures can't specify "There oil" and nothing else... they can specify TCW3 and that it be fully synthetic.... which ha ha is what BRP has done with the E-TEC.... You use our fully synthetic, and you burn 1/2 as much oil... Chose or conventional XD-50 or any other TCW-3 rated oil and we are going to make you burn twice as much...... Personally with this piece of knowledge I would tell the dealer to set my motor to work with any oil.... because good forbid I get somewhere where I can't get that speciality oil....

If Mercury or BRP advertises that there engines work on TCW-3 oil they have to support any TCW-3 oil..... If they specified they work on only there special blend, then that is a different story.... but every time I have looked at specifications, I always see the term, "TCW-3 approved oil".......