View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #53
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Can't help but feel that something is strange here.

The Resturant is consistently mentioned by most I know, and me, as one of their favorite places in Wolfeboro. Yet it ended up with the lowest point total?

Familiarity? Votes for newer places? Ballot stuffing? Not sure, but it doesn't make sense based on my circle of contacts.
I think the problem with the poll is the larger, more well known restaurants benefit from much bigger voter pools since more patrons naturally have visited these establishments. Also, Phoenix made reference to the fact that there were 2110 votes, not voters. I am not sure if you can vote multiple times a day, week, etc? Was the survey impacted by ballot box stuffing?

While clearly not statistically robust, the poll does give some indications of trends. For example, the Wolfeboro Inn was historically poorly received and it has made a comeback under the new restaurant supervisor, George but is the experience there now better that at the Restaurant or Corner house Inn? I have a hard time believing that is the case but I may be wrong.

I am not sure if a poll could be structured in the following manner but if it could I think the results would be more statistically relevant. Put up a selection of 10-restauranats and allow each voter to cast a favorable or un-favorable vote for the establishments he she/has attended. Then each restaurant would have a favorable/unfavorable percentage ratio which would neutralize the advantage of the bigger, well known restaurants.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote