View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
mneck1814

Pineedles,
Thanks for the opportunity to share my story, my family and I are truly flattered by the interest you have taken in our heritage! As I said before I would really enjoy reading others stories of how they have ended up at the lake!

So here goes my story:

My mom and her siblings are the 7th generation of Dow's to own our camp in Moultonborough. The house was the primary home on the Dow Farm from 1814 until the '60s when our family began just using it seasonally. My mom’s Great Aunt Hattie Dow was the last Dow to occupy the house fulltime. However, there was a house on the land prior to 1814 that burned in 1813, and then the current house was built. The Dow's were of the first settlers to Moultonborough and specifically the Neck Road. They moved from Hampton, NH at or about the same time as the Moulton's moved from Hampton to what is now Moultonborough.

I haven't been able to upload any pictures so this link will have to suffice. The link is to a "Then and Now" slide show by the Moultonborough Historical Society. The David Dow Homestead is our house, however, only the "then" picture is actually our house, the "Now" picture is a house up the street from ours. If anyone on here is a member of the historical society I would be glad to email you a correct "Now" picture! Also, the Benjamin Dow Homestead also in the slide show was a part of the original Dow Farm, if memory serves me correctly Benjamin was David's son.

http://www.moultonboroughhistory.org/mboro/mboro.htm

My family was very excited to stumble upon this slide show as we have the same phote hanging in the living room at the camp. Also this summer we were excited to find a passage about or family and a photo of the house included in a small book about Moultonborough History that was printed in the 60s or 70s, another great find from the Moultonborough Country Store!

Ok now it's your turn!!
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mneck1814 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links