View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
There is no way in the world I'd endorse a system like this. It's a neat idea, but I'm not going to "bid" on a table, make any minimum guarantees, or otherwise get drawn into a competition for how/where to spend my money eating out.

Going in feeling like I "have" to spend some amount of pre-set money is a major mental block for me. I will order what I order. Sometimes we're in the mood for dessert, or another round of drinks, other times we're not. Dining out to me is still something I do as a form of entertainment and indulgence. Hanging a commitment on that ruins the desire.

I understand where you are coming from, and the motivation for this, but I think it's a problem to be solved with typical supply and demand economics. If you have more demand than supply, you can manage that my increasing the supply (seating area), reducing the demand (generally, raising prices), or maintain high demand/low supply, which helps create more pent-up desire (hopefully).

I'm not sure what problem this bidding system solves. You're not increasing supply, and you're not reducing demand, you're just requiring your customers to compete with each other and make decisions that might lead them to buyers remorse and longer-term bad feelings about their decision to eat there.

Or... It might work even better than anticipated and cause a whole new wave of people fighting for tables, but I won't know, because I wouldn't be there to see it.
I'm with brk here, first come first serve, including reservations. Part of owning and running a business is figuring out how to finance it and all but the most basic businesses need to be financed. Sounds like you have a good case for expansion. I would not bid on a seat at a restaurant, too many choices out there.....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post: