Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #28
ApS

Default Who's responsible, anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
How many innocent people have been run over and killed these past 3 years ?
1) Run over? Gee-golly...we have to look all the way back to August!

2) Or, I'll put it this way: More innocents than I want to wait for...to appear on "Google News Alerts". (Two photographers died in December celebrating this "Cult", btw.)

3) Killed? How far do we need to look?

Long Lake's high speed double-fatality would have been averted with any ten-year-old girl behind the wheel rather than some wealthy jerk out to prove that his chromosomes are more important than others'.

What do you propose be done about ocean-racers catapulting themselves 120-feet over your lakefront's property line?

4) Originally, I suggested that New Hampshire pass—then suspend—a speed limit indefinitely. Then reinstate it immediately upon the occurrence of a NH freshwater double-fatality attributable to a powerboat.

Had Long Lake adopted my proposal, that law would be in effect there today.

5) You forgot that the manufacturer themselves said that their own boat shouldn't be operating on Long Lake?

Quote:
"...David Donchecz, chief operating officer of Michigan-based Sunsation Powerboats, told the Sun Journal of Lewiston that he thought the Dominator was too much boat with too much speed for such a lake..."
http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/ne...277&zoneid=500
A photograph of Long Lake could be mistaken for many locations at Lake Winnipesaukee: how many Long Lake geographical-analogs are there in Lake Winnipesaukee—hundreds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Alas I doubt we'll ever have a bill that saves us from the cult of hyperbole and vitriol.
Empathy is what's missing here—this law didn't appear out of thin air.

Responsible citizens are putting the blame where it belongs: on the cult that took just ten years to turn a residential lake's boating environment into one of irritation, anxiety and anarchy.