View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
Rich

I have a black hull, so I feel your pain!

You need a power buffer of some type, and then use Meguires #67 or Surehold Buff Magic. These two are the easiest to use without major problems that don't dry out while you're using them. Or you can use some 3M products.

If the oxidation is very bad. you may need something more aggressive (3M heavy cut), or perhaps even a wet sanding first (which is a much larger job).

If you get a 'one step' type buff and wax product, sometimes you can't tell if the shine you are getting is because of the wax, or because you buffed it properly. if done properly it will have a nice shine to it BEFORE YOU WAX IT. The wax ends up being a shine enhancer and a protection.

The types with the built in wax often will initially look good, but then look bad again a few weeks or month later because you didn't clean the oxidation off and polished your gel-coat, you just covered it in wax.

Once you learn how, it's not hard to do (meaning it's not a hard skill to learn), it just takes time. Be careful to not hold the buffer in one place, keep it slowly moving.

Watch some youtube videos, or I can stop by and show you (send me a PM if you would like), but won't be near the lake until this weekend.

You can get a cheap buffer at harbor freight, or get something nicer (deWalt, Makita, etc). I mostly use foam pads for buffing, but most others like wool pads. Just learn to keep them clean and not caked with old dried buffing compound.

Last edited by Rich; 05-26-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post: