Thread: Sunday morning
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 05:54 AM   #46
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
I concur with many observations expressed in this thread but one thing I disagree with is the frequent pointing of fingers at 'out-of-staters'. I spend five months each year at our home on Lake Winni and seven months in CT. So, I guess that makes me one of those out-of-staters - identified I suppose by my CT license plates or by my 'poor behavior'. To some it seems, the 'in-stater' can do no wrong. Despite my label, I do my best to be respectful of others whether on or off the lake, in CT or NH - wherever. Of course, like everyone, I'm not immune to making mistakes or executing poor judgment and when I do, it probably irritates someone. But what makes some think that 'in-staters' are any better than 'out-of-staters'?

One problem, as JDarby points out above, is the USA has become a country of 'me'. A good percentage of us have become so insular - technologically, politically, socially, geographically - that we've stopped caring for one another. So, we flip the bird instead of waving. We blame others and fail to admit our own mistakes. Our opinions are the only ones that matter. We don't listen. We lack tolerance. We fail to trust others. Our frustration begets anger rather than forgiveness. All of this manifests itself in our daily activities be it driving a car, piloting a boat, dining in a restaurant, judging the actions of our neighbors, failing to be cognizant of our own behaviors and, yes, participating in the Lake Winnipesaukee Forum.

Folks, this isn't restricted to 'out-of-staters'. This is the new American way.
On the whole, I agree, but I do think there's a distinct difference between how locals take care of "their" resources vs. out-of-towners.

Merrimack and Milford have had to shut down town parks because of the influx of MA people these last six months. How do we know MA? Video and photos from local residents (yes, it got that bad).

Merrimack is dealing with a second park issue, and last Saturday, all but ~dozen (people are now tracking) users throughout the day were from MA (three from CT, one from RI and NY) and the park was destroyed at the end of the day. So much so that the town removed ALL picnic tables Sunday.

I just think there's a vested interest in locals, who pay taxes and are around all the time, to keep things clean/usable. Not entirely, of course, but enough that a claim can be made.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote